Thursday, July 11, 2024

A Musical Memory

July 11, 2024, at home, Throwback Thursday

A Musical Memory From Those Subjectively Foggy 1990s

Bob Mould was the lead singer/guitarist of the band Sugar. Before Sugar, he headed the band Hüsker Dü, named after the board game. He has multiple solo albums since Sugar.

I was first introduced to Sugar in 1992 by a co-worker upon the release of the group's first album (CD) "Copper Blue." I immediately fell in love with the sound of this alternative rock band, especially the song "Fortune Teller" (link below). I have "Copper Blue" and two other Sugar albums on CDs.

During one weekday evening, I think it was a Wednesday, in the mid-1990s, after a day of writing about chemicals for an international weekly magazine, I attended a performance by Bob Mould and his band at Roseland, the old-time, former dance hall in New York City. There were no seats, so everybody just stood there and rocked (moshed?) or just sat on the floor. There only seemed to be several hundred people there.

He played old and new songs, including "Fortune Teller," which is my favorite song by Sugar.

I was in my mid-30s, surrounded by teenagers and other fans in their early 20s. It was a great concert, an absolute blast, but those in attendance made me feel ancient.

I just stood alone, leaning my right shoulder against a wall in the back of the room, wearing my suit and tie with the top button of my shirt unbuttoned, watching the "kids" having fun, and often closing my eyes, letting the band's vibes wash over my body and permeate my soul.

https://youtu.be/ko2gzW6WmSA?si=woENYntxh8uFHAaJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today Is ...

September 20, 2024, at home If I am feeling mainstream, I'll go for a pepperoni pizza. If not, then I'll go for my favorite pizza to...