Gloria Steinem, feminist and founder of Ms. magazine, has died yesterday and announced today, at age 92.
In the 1990s, the staff of Ms. magazine spelled the word "feminism" wrong on the cover of an issue. At the time, it made me laugh. This photo is NOT digitally altered because I actually bought a copy at a newsstand in New York City, thinking that it may be worth something someday. This is the actual cover, however it's not my issue. I still have the magazine in a storage unit. It now could actually be worth something.
I know it's not nice to celebrate the death of anyone, but I have been a Men's Rights Activist since the early 1990s, when I was in my early 30s. Nah. I'm not celebrating. It's just that death is inevitable; she lived a long life; and I am not as headstrong, having mellowed over the years in regard to Men's Rights Activism. I'm still a warrior, but now, I'm just a keyboard warrior, hence this post.
We were distant and indirect adversaries, fighting on opposite sides of the same coin, trying to meet in the middle. Well, she and her followers were and still are fighting for female superiority over men, basically the oppression of men by women, but that's a different story.
It's somewhat like liberals wanting the death of Donald Trump, but WITHOUT the malice. NO malice and NO hatred toward Steinem comes from me.
It's more like that Star Trek episode, where that old space sailor's spaceship was stuck inside an alien monster. He was finally liberated after many years by the Star Trek people. The last scene shows him navigating his ship back inside the monster, seemingly because he misses their adversarial relationship. I never read "Moby Dick," but I think it's similar. Is it?
Everyone needs an adversary. That's the popularity of sports and related rivalries. Anyway, it's sad that she is gone, but then again, there are plenty more adversaries in this regard.
Trivia: I remember reading in the 1990s that WOMEN had more subscriptions to Playboy magazine than to Ms. magazine, which went from a monthly magazine to being published every other month due to low readership. I'm not sure if they ditched the print version and are just sticking with the digital version.
Sept. 3, 2026



No comments:
Post a Comment